Unless you’re a design junkie or wealthy enough to replace a broken electronic device without a second thought, you’ll probably want to consider putting some kind of case or cover on your e-reader to protect it from falls, scratches, and smudges. There are three main types of e-reader case: the hard case, the sleeve, and the skin. Here are the pros and cons of each:
- Some have a front cover that can be flipped around and positioned as a stand. This is really useful if you’re reading something like a cookbook and need a hands-free option for looking at the screen.
- Many hard cases have an internal magnet that turns your e-reader on when the case is opened.
- Lots of customization options, from the basic colors and materials, to cases designed to emulate the look of a real hardcover book, to cases with pockets and storage options.
- Certain designs can help recreate the experience of opening a book and reading it with both hands.
- Certain styles of hard case might be designed for a specific e-reader. Cases that use elastics to hold the e-reader in place usually offer a bit more flexibility, but if the e-reader is held in place by a frame, be sure to check that it’s compatible with your e-reader.
- Can add bulk.
Bag or Sleeve
- Protect the e-reader from scratches and smudges (some with extra padding also protect from bumps and falls) while it’s in your bag or being carried around.
- Come in many materials, colors, and styles.
- Easier to ensure that a bag or sleeve will fit your specific e-reader. As long as the dimensions are larger than the dimensions of your device, you’re good to go.
- Don’t protect the e-reader while it’s in use.
- Come in a wide variety of colors, styles, and finishes. You’re more likely to find a picture or complex design on a skin than on a hard case.
- Many skins come with a clear cover that protects the screen from scratches.
- Depending on the material used, a skin might add extra grip to your e-reader, making it easier to avoid dropping it.
- If you’re looking for protection, a skin might not be your best choice. Skins are more for fashion purposes and don’t provide nearly as much protection as a sleeve or hard case.